Friday, January 22, 2010

LOVE TALK {The One with Robert Heinlein}

This quote is phenomenal.  The part of true love that is easily forgotten is the selflessness of it.  Would you put your love’s happiness over your own?  I think this is most commonly seen in the love a parent has for their child.  If their child is hurting, a parent will hurt just as much if not more.  If there is anything a mother can do to take away the pain of her child, she would do it no matter what her cost.  That is the love Robert is talking about.  But why is it less often seen in the love between a man and a woman?  There are a few couples I see it in, but not as many as I would like.  I admit that I try to love this way and it is difficult.  It’s easy to get caught up in whether or not I am getting what I want out of a relationship, rather than what I am giving to it.  Why is it so natural and easy for a mother to love this way, and much more difficult in other relationships?  What would the world look like if we all focused on looking first at what we can give to a relationship before looking for what we can get out of it?

RobertHeinlein

SignatureChat2

1 comment:

daniab said...

I think it's funny b/c you could take this quote in two different directions.

One: it made me think of the phrase "happy wife, happy life"

But that comes out of an entirely different place than the author was speaking from.

I struggle to love him first when I feel hurt. Feeling hurt makes me think I am justified to hurt him. And then he gets grumpier etc etc...and we get on this vicious cycle.

But when I can think beyond myself, and love him and show him respect first...then he is more apt to give back to me in the same way.

It's true. When he is unhappy, I am unhappy. In the big ways as well as the small